Saturday, July 31, 2010

Dinner for One - Super Simple Steak and Salad



So I haven't posted in a while - I've been really busy with my real job (you know, just running a business) and we've been eating out and making a lot of the same stuff recently. I wanted to put something up to keep you salivating - so here's a quick and easy dinner for one.

Cooking for one is next to impossible, in my experience. It's hard enough just cooking for two sometimes, but one? Forget about it! So, when I eat dinner by myself it's usually take out, but occasionally I'll make this dinner because 1) I love it and 2) It's super delicious and fast and there's no leftovers (okay, I didn't eat the whole steak, but that just means leftovers for a yummy steak salad!).

Simple Steak:

Your choice of steak (I used a porterhouse in this recipe, but I've also used filets, t-bones, NY strips, etc.)
Salt and Pepper
Lemon
Olive Oil

Salad:

Arugula
Bacon, cooked and chopped into bits
Pine nuts, lightly toasted
Goat cheese for sprinkling on top
Pepper

For the salad dressing:

Juice of one Lemon
Salt and Pepper
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
About 3 Tbsp. Olive Oil (sometimes I use leftover bacon grease instead, but olive oil is MUCH healthier!)

Take your steak out of the fridge about 30 minutes before you cook it and season it with salt and pepper generously. Seriously.

Meanwhile, prepare your bacon and toast your pine nuts. Set aside.

Pre-heat your grill to high and clean and oil it. Cook the steak for 4-5 minutes uncovered. Obviously, the cook time will depend on the thickness of your steak. My porterhouse was about an inch thick and it came out on the medium side of medium-well - and I cooked it for a good 5 minutes each side. The best thing to do when it comes to figuring out how to cook a steak to your liking on your grill is to just grill a LOT of steaks! You'll get the hang of it eventually!

When your steak is done, take it off the grill and let rest for 10 minutes while you prepare your salad.

For the salad dressing, mix lemon juice, salt and pepper and mustard in a jar. Cover and shake until well combined. Slowly add olive oil, shaking between additions. You want a nice uniform colored dressing, well emulsified and kind of creamy.

Pour dressing over arugula and toss. Add your crumbled bacon, goat cheese crumbles and pine nuts. Add a twist of pepper and voila! Super simple salad.

Cut your steak lengthwise and drizzle lightly with olive oil and lemon.



Bon Apetit!!!

No comments: